There’s only so much a flatbed trailer can do. At times, it just can’t get the job done as a result of the shipment being too tall, wide, or heavy. This is where heavy haul trucking comes into play. When shipments are over-dimensional and yet must be delivered overnight, special routing is usually required. For those who don’t know, heavy haul trucking requires certain trucks that can carry the size of what you’re shipping. So why exactly should you hire this kind of specialized truck company? Let’s first dive more into what heavy haul transportation entails.
Let’s say that your business needs to transport large pieces of industrial equipment, oil rig parts, or components for major construction projects. If that’s the case, then heavy haul trucking is involved. The truck tractor is this situation is one with an attached trailer that has an overweight or over-dimensional object on it that exceeds the ordinary permit limits. Be aware that both the size and the weight of a superload are state-regulated. An oversize load, which includes the tractor and trailer, may exceed the standard legal dimensions of 13 feet, 6 inches in height and 8 feet, 6 inches in width. Additionally, the load cannot be reduced to legal dimensions. If you’re considering an overweight load, it must be comprised of a single unit to be shipped that exceeds the total legal gross weight of 80,000 pounds.
Then there’s the equipment. Keep in mind that heavy haul transportation isn’t exactly the typical 18-wheeler. Without question, your business requires a carrier that has the specialized equipment and the knowledge to safely load, transport, and unload units of a given size. While a standard tractor-trailer may have six axles, your project could require a setup with nine axles. It all just depends on the situation. Other pieces of equipment could include everything from double drops and extendable trailers to removable goosenecks and stretch trailers.
Reasons to Hire a Heavy Haul Trucking Company
- Appropriate trucks and trailers – It’s not as though companies offer one truck or trailer for every heavy hauling request. Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging Inc. is proud to have the latest model equipment to serve every transportation need. As an ISO 9001-2015 certified trucking company, we offer a wide variety of trailers and services to accommodate customers and get the job done right. Relax knowing that we will never take a “one-size-fits-all” approach. On top of that, each of our trucks is equipped with satellite tracking systems. With Stephen Izzi Trucking, you never have to worry about the quality of our trucks and trailers.
- Less risk of damage – Let’s say that you need to move a particular load on a one-off or a short-term basis. More specifically, though, the load includes prefabricated sections for construction projects. The reality is your company can’t afford for any supplies to be damaged en route. With heavy hauling from Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging, there’s no need to worry about your freight getting damaged. Our team takes precautionary measures to ensure that high-dollar freight is secured and safe from the time of pickup all the way through drop-off.
- Better pricing – There are plenty of trucking companies out there that gouge customers with pricing. Depending on the size of your business, you may have an extremely limited budget. Rest assured that heavy haul trucking services calculate the price of moving freight on a per-mile basis as opposed to using a per-pound pricing structure. This can lead to major savings for you and your business. At Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging, we will work within your budget and determine a plan the makes the most sense for your needs.
Now that you know why you should hire a heavy haul trucking company, it’s time to find the most sensible one for your business. Many people make the mistake of thinking such companies provide the same services at the same quality. This just isn’t the case, though. Keep reading for tips as you work toward making a decision.
What to Consider Before Hiring a Heavy Haul Trucking Company
- The experience of their drivers – Not all commercial truck drivers have heavy haul trucking experience. Even the safest flatbed drivers may not have nearly enough experience to take on your project. It’s important to know that heavy haul trucking takes specialized training, practice, and skills. As you look through potential companies to hire, pay close attention to their driver records and equipment they’ve driven in the past. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a rookie driver who puts your entire business at risk. At S.P.I. Transport Systems, Inc. (part of The Izzi Group), drivers are safely trained and re-tested for knowledge of both new and changing laws. We strive to comply with any and all regulations that you deem necessary for a safe and successful relationship.
- The licenses of their drivers – It might sound far-fetched to think a heavy haul trucking company wouldn’t ensure that all of their drivers are properly licensed. Every now and then, though, we hear about a trucking service that tried to skate by with under-qualified drivers. Please do yourself and your company a favor by double-checking for proper driver licenses.
- Their insurance coverage – Again, this is another thing that tends to be overlooked. Proper insurance coverage is a must in the world of heavy haul trucking. It’s imperative that all paperwork is complete and that your load is covered until the haul reaches its final destination. Maybe you’re thinking, “I have no idea what to look for in heavy haul insurance coverage?” Our suggestion is to look through commercial driver forums, unions, as well as professional associations for clarification. Of course, don’t forget to read the fine print at the bottom of their insurance.
- Your specific concerns – Few people outside of the industry have a working knowledge of heavy haul trucking. That’s okay! Give yourself some time to clear any concerns or issues you may have with the company. Check the history of their drivers, their safety rating, and any recent accident reports. This might seem like overdoing it a bit, but trust us, with potentially millions of dollars worth of freight on the truck, your business could be on the line here.
- Their equipment – It’s easy to get caught up in a company’s drivers and insurance coverage. But don’t forget that the trucking service you hire must own the proper equipment for the job. You don’t want the company showing up with equipment that’s way too large or small. Should this happen, you’re probably looking at both wasted time and money. As aforementioned, Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging Inc. has the latest model equipment to meet your needs. Each of our trucks also come with satellite tracking systems for your convenience.
Questions to Ask Your Heavy Haul Trucking Company
- How long have you been in business? – Small and large businesses alike have relied on Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging for more than 40 years. Through the years, we’ve supplied the highest quality rigging and transportation services across the U.S. Our team proudly serves pharmaceutical, energy, telecommunication, HVAC, and other major industries. While things have certainly changed over the years, we keep our mission the same: to provide our customers with an efficient and cost-effective solution. At Stephen Izzi, we know the occasional fly-by-night company makes its way into the industry. You don’t have to worry about our quality of work, though. We make it a point to complete your project safely, on time, and within budget.
- What other services do you provide? – Heavy haul trucking is undoubtedly a big part of what we do. But it’s not the only thing. Stephen Izzi offers a number of specialized services such as rigging, machinery moving, turnkey relocations, and more. Take rigging and machinery moving, for example. Our team can do it all, from millwright work and skidding to crane, gantry, light, and heavy forklift work.
- How do you treat your customers? – The best transportation providers of any kind maintain an incredibly high level of customer service. Unfortunately, many heavy haul trucking companies fail to do so. That’s not how we conduct business at Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging. Our dispatch office can update customers at a moment’s notice upon request or in the event of changes to agreed delivery schedules. This allows your business the flexibility it needs to complete the project accordingly.
What Separates Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging From the Rest
S.P.I. Transport Systems wants to contribute to the long-term success of your business. By teaming with our heavy haul trucking services, you can set your company up for a more profitable future.
Here are just some of our more notable certificates and affiliates:
- SmartWay – The EPA SmartWay program helps companies such as your own advance supply chain sustainability by measuring, benchmarking, and freight transportation efficiency.
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association – Think of NJMTA as the voice of New Jersey’s trucking industry before legislatures, government agencies, as well as the public and the media.
- BROWNZ – This organization ensures supply chains are not only safe but also qualified and socially responsible. BROWNZ delivers comprehensive solutions to prequalify, asses, and monitor compliance based on your project’s specific needs.
- NCCCO – For more than 20 years, NCCCO has been developing effective performance standards for safe crane operation to assist all segments of general construction.
- SC&RA – This is an international trade association that includes more than 1,300 members who are involved in specialized transportation, machinery moving and erecting, millwrighting, and crane and rigging operations.
- ISO 9001 – This demonstrates to customers that they can offer products and services of consistently good quality. ISO 9001 also acts as a tool to streamline their processes and make them more efficient at what they do.
- ISN – This organization is the global leader in both contractor and supplier management. ISN regularly supports more than 500 hiring clients in capital-intensive industries to help manage more than 65,000 contractors and suppliers with operations in nearly 100 countries.
- Avetta – Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging is proud to be affiliated with Avetta. This organization provides SaaS-based solutions for supply chain risk management that assist with the prequalification of contractors and suppliers.
- ATA – For those not familiar with them, ATA has been the leading advocate for the trucking industry for years. ATA is committed to developing and supporting innovative policies that promote a combination of highway safety, security, environmental sustainability, and profitability.
When you first get in touch with Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging, we will take the time to listen to your project specifications and needs. Unlike other heavy machinery movers that might fail to communicate, our team encourages customers to come to us with questions and concerns. We understand heavy haul and transportation is anything but easy to understand. Not to worry, though. With more than four decades of experience in the industry, we’ve seen just about everything you can imagine.
Are you skeptical about exploring heavy haul transportation because of safety concerns? Rest assured that S.P.I. Transport Systems stays ahead of the game. Not only are our drivers experienced, but they continue to enhance their knowledge through education of new and changing laws. Simply put, our drivers are some of the best in the business.
At Stephen Izzi Trucking and Rigging, we believe that your business deserves the highest quality of service. It won’t take long for you to realize that working with us is an efficient and cost-effective project solution. Don’t let the thought of heavy equipment transport put a knot in your stomach any longer. Our customers enjoy an unmatched combination of first class, state-of-the-art equipment and a team of professionals who put your project at the top of their priority list.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our professionals for additional information. Should you be interested in our services, we can get started on a quote.