Have you ever wondered what a freight trucking company does? In simplest terms, it specializes in the moving of freight from one place to another. Maybe you’re thinking, “That sounds a lot like shipping.” Well, you’re right. Before we discuss freight trucking companies, it’s important to look at the distinction between freight and shipping.
As you can see from this LinkedIn article, freight is usually referred to as the bulk transportation of goods. Chances are that you’ve already heard of air freight and freight shipments. But what about the shipments themselves? Companies typically have a protocol in place to categorize them into categories. For example, it could be that the company wants to organize shipments by the type of items being transported, the load size, and how long the goods will be in transit. You’ll find that the common shipment categories include express, household goods, parcel, and general freight.
Now let’s turn our attention to shipping. Of course, shipping can be either commercial or non-commercial. Similar to freight, shipping is also done in bulk. So what are the major differences between the two? Let’s start with the fact that freight refers to a larger quantity of goods whereas shipping refers to a much smaller quantity. Another key point is that the general shipping of goods can be done for either personal or commercial purposes. One way to look at this is that when you go send something to a friend in Europe, you’re going to use shipping services as opposed to freight services.
What modes of transportation make the most sense for freight shipments? There are certainly a number of railroad cars and large ships carrying shipping containers. Frankly, though, a freight truck may be the best solution.
Why You Need a Professional Freight Trucking Company
Believe it or not, billions of pounds of freight are transported across the world every day. There’s no question that freight trucking companies are taking companies to the next level on a regular basis. Will yours be next? Here are just some of the reasons why you need to contact a freight service:
- Supply chain management – For quite some time, you’ve been trying to figure out how your company should send goods from one country to another. Granted, you have to understand the different carriers and shipping laws that will be involved. But there’s so much more to this. Remember to take into account factors such as order processing, order management, and workflow management. Rest assured that a reliable freight trucking team will effectively handle your supply chain needs.
- They understand your business – It does absolutely no good to hire a company that fails to understand your business goals, let alone achieve those objectives. When you begin researching freight forwarders, you should find a handful of options that have a solid network of carriers, agents, and custom officers.
- Logistics management – We’re willing to bet there’s more on your plate beside putting the freight trucking plan into action. You can feel comfortable knowing the company will perform all formalities and legalities on your behalf. Simply get in touch with them and let them know about the destination. The experts will take it from there.
- Timely delivery – Time is money. You can’t afford late shipments and unhappy clients/customers/contractors, etc. When you opt for professional freight trucking, you can put your worries of delayed deliveries to rest. Most, if not all such companies, should be willing to guarantee delivery of freight within the agreed timeframe.
- Sound communication – Every now and then, miscommunications happen in freight shipping. It’s crucial that you become aware of every event that occurs during the shipping process. This may seem trivial, but trust us when we say communication cannot be overlooked. Ideally, you want to work with a company that already has proactive measures in place so that when things out of their control happen (inclement weather, other delays, etc.), they can still get the job done.
- Reliable services – As aforementioned, once you leave the forwarder with your freight, they handle the shipment up until it reaches the appropriate destination. You should expect them to provide a tracking number and be willing to give regular status updates. It goes without saying that these companies have the required licenses and permissions to work with various carriers.
- Improves return on investment – Unnecessary delays and other obstacles brought upon by the freight trucking company will likely cost your business big time. A seasoned freight forwarder should be able to reduce the overall cost of goods delivery by meeting deadlines and collecting multiple shipment projects.
Now that you know why your business needs a freight trucking company, let’s look at what you should think about before making a decision.
What Sets Freight Forwarders Apart from the Rest?
- Expertise – Not exactly a shocker, right? The company you end up selecting should have years, if not decades, of experience. They should be more than proficient in the modes of transportation and service levels you demand. Not only should the freight forwarder be experienced, but they need to be credible and knowledgeable. The last thing you want is to trust that a company with little experience will handle your shipments properly.
- Compliance – Be aware that forwarders must abide by specific laws and regulations regarding shipments and safety. Not to mention, you probably also have strict operating procedures when handling your freight. It’s always a good idea to ask the freight forwarder if they have compliance documentation. Should they not be compliant for whatever reason, you could be facing some serious consequences down the road.
- Reliability – Is your company on a tight budget as you work to get the freight en route? Then it makes sense to want to find the lowest estimates. Hold on, though. While cost is certainly important, it shouldn’t be the only factor as you make a decision. You want the company to fulfill your objectives without any major hiccups along the way. That’s why reliability is on this list. Freight must be picked up and delivered on time and in great condition. Should something happen in transit, they must notify you as quickly as possible. Obviously, those who have proven to be reliable will warrant hiring consideration.
- Crisis management – It would definitely be nice if freight transports went smoothly every single time. But that’s just not the case. At some point, there will likely be some sort of minor conflict. You want to be working with a freight trucking company that feels the same level of urgency as you do. Forwards must react swiftly and notify you of any issues, minor or significant. Of course, it’s their job to work to secure alternative arrangement to mitigate delays and save you from incurring additional costs.
- Customer service – This is an industry where customer service tends to be overlooked. However, we believe it’s essential to getting the job done right. The best truck freight forwarders are the ones that are on time, responsive, flexible, and proactive. They go above and beyond in terms of keeping you in the loop, whether it’s responding to emails or answering phone calls. Sure, companies pay a lot of attention to the freight shipments, as they should. But that doesn’t mean customer service goes completely out the window.
Trucking and Rigging Services You Can Trust
At Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging, we understand how complex this industry truly is. You wouldn’t hire just anyone to transport valuable commercial freight. For more than 40 years, our team has placed a belief in high-quality service. That commitment hasn’t changed and it never will. What separates Stephen Izzi from competitors is that we supply reliable, hassle-free rigging and transportation services nationwide. It all starts with our first class, state-of-the-art equipment and a team of professionals who are dedicated to exceeding expectations. The result? Your company is the beneficiary of an efficient and cost-effective project completed within the timeframe and budgetary constraints.
Here are some of our specialized services:
- Rigging – Does your project require lifting and shoring? At Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging, we truly set the standard for response, quality, and performance. It’s why we also offer skidding, loading, and transportation of machinery and equipment. Just let us know what the project entails and we will take it from there.
- Millwright work – In need of machinery and equipment installations? What about relocations, modifications, and maintenance services? You can count on Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging to provide spot-on value, especially when it comes to millwright work.
- Crating and packaging – We are proud to offer expert crate and skid design and build services. By no means are we limited to our crating and export packaging services. Feel free to ask about our vacuum bagging, recording/monitoring systems, and much more.
- Industrial storage – You need warehousing and storage solutions that are customized to fit the needs of your company. Well, you’ve come to the right place. At Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging, we offer long term and short term options. On the other hand, maybe you’ve been exploring climate controlled storage spaces. You can feel at ease knowing that Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging is licensed and bonded with the U.S. Custom House.
- Turnkey solutions – Would a turnkey solution help take your industrial contracting company to the next level? Whether it’s dismantling, transportation, installation, retrofit, or start-up scenarios, you are undoubtedly in the best of hands with Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging.
- Heavy haul trucking – S.P.I. Transport Systems, Inc., part of the Izzi Group, is an ISO 9001-2015 certified trucking company with the latest model equipment to serve any transportation need you may have. We have a myriad of trailers and services to accommodate any request. To be honest, though, it’s the drivers that make S.P.I. the preferred heavy haul trucking service in the country. Each of our drivers are safely trained and re-tested for knowledge on the latest laws. We do everything possible to comply with all regulations our customers consider necessary for a successful business relationship. Then there’s the innovation of our trucks. For one thing, each is equipped with top-of-the-line satellite tracking systems. Why is this so important? Well, in the event that something alters the delivery schedule, our dispatch office can update you at a moment’s notice.
From freight trucking to millwright work, you can relax knowing you made the decision to hire Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging. Current, we serve a number of industries, including the following:
- Homeland security
- Food and beverage
- Machine tool
- Defense contractors
- Power generation
- Process equipment
- And others
By now, you hopefully have a better understanding of freight forwarding and why it makes sense for you. If you’re still on the fence about getting in touch with Stephen Izzi, it’s a good idea to check out some of our certificates and affiliates:
- SmartWay Transport Partner
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- The National Commission Certification of Crane Operations
When you first come to Stephen Izzi, we will stand back and listen to your project needs. From there, we will not only come up with a customized solution but do so in a way that conforms with any budgetary constraints. Something we can’t emphasize enough is that our team never uses a “one-size-fits-all” approach. Our business hasn’t gotten to where it is today by cutting corners and treating customers like a number. Your satisfaction is our number one priority, from the time you initially contact us until the time your freight is safely delivered.
You shouldn’t have to settle for a freight trucking service that does mediocre work. Here at Stephen Izzi Trucking & Rigging, we thank you for taking the time to review our capabilities. We understand that you have countless choices for your commercial trucking needs. Should you have any questions about our services or would like some additional information, please don’t hesitate to get a hold of us.